our daughter
return to homepage Sam and Grandpa

Doing it on your own

by Anonymous

I have adopted three kids from Korea and found the US process to be extremely easy.

Step one is, of course, to find a parent who is willing to give their child up for adoption--my wife and I went with her brother who was recently divorced and unable to take good care of his children.

We convinced him (and his ex-wife) to sign over custody/guardianship and they did all their paperwork with translations in Korea. After that, you simply need to bring the kids to the US legally...ANY Legal entry i.e. tourist passport.

That starts a 3 year process. First, they live with you for a year (extend their visa once), then slide on down to your local adoption lawyer who does straight-up adoption paperwork; nothing fancy just an adoption. This should only cost around $800.

From there, go to the INS, Homeland Security Website and download the Visa and Immigration forms. Fill out and submit...those cost around $1000 total.

Wait, wait, and wait, but don't worry--the INS won't deport your kids while they have paperwork in. After about two years, you'll get your appointment, bring the kids, tell your story and viola! They are US citizens. Congratulations!

Click here to read or post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to My Independent International Adoption.

Subscribe to My Free Ezine!

subscribe to free ezine

The International Adoption Ezine will keep you up to date with everything happening on this site, as well as provide helpful tips about the adoption process, fundraising and raising your adopted child. Best of all, it's free!

Click Here to Subscribe.

What is this?
Add to My Yahoo!
Add to My MSN
Add to Google

Enjoy This Site?
Then why not use the button below, to add us to your favorite bookmarking service?

Template Design
Copyright© 2008-2012.